29.03.2011 25 °C
I just dropped by at one of SoratoKujira's article about Kpop-Jpop comparison. Below is her article:
Vocoder makes everyone’s voice perfect
- It’s just that much catchier
Girl group members don’t have to be virgins
Everyone is a lot more attractive
The fun dancing that sticks on you
Female versions of already established boy groups
Drama always keeps you entertained
Weekly shows like Music Bank, M! Countdown, Inkigayo
Constantly debuting artists
Collaborations between artists (and not just m-flo)
Everyone is young
If your just getting into Asian music, it’s not a huge step from American music
Songs never drag on, their all under four minutes
None of that CD+DVD, CD+2DVD, CD+Photobook special edition only songs crap
You understand it more. Half of the songs are in English
The only fat person is that dude from Super Junior. No such things as Sugaya Risakos
No long waits ’till things release. Everything is announced a week before it’s release date
JYP & Teddy
Awesome indie rock music mostly unheard in J-Music
Fancy stage lights and such for live performances
Usually new, different outfits for live performances
Remixing their songs live after having promoted them for a while
Everyone’s at least hit puberty
Desperate fangirls who entertain you with their bloody letters
Lots more interaction between fans and the artists
No Oricon charts make you feel unpopular
Everyone’s more open about any surgery they had(UEE and double eye-lid surgery)
Makes you feel even more different
It’s cheesy, but at least you have an excuse
No low budget PVs
Watching G-Dragon dry hump a girl on stage
You never feel like the artists are just lounging off all day doing nothing. They only get 3 hours of sleep!
- your K-Pop stars fall asleep on T.V.
Get famous overnight with bloody fan letters!
You usually feel smarter than the artists since everyone drops out of school(no Konno Asamis here!)
EVERYTHING IS A FREAKIN’ HIT
Artist’s profiles are perfect. Perfect age, measurements, etc… Of course you find out a few years later that it’s all a lie.
Rabid fangirls and netizens keep you entertained with the idiotic things they point out
It’s always interesting to see how the plagiarizing things work out
Cute isn’t the standard girl group style. It’s all about SEXY
If your not fond of a certain male artist, don’t worry, he’ll eventually get sent to the army
Watching Hottests waste their lives trying to get Jaebom to come back when he clearly won’t
Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Ah~
Hmmm...granted that IT'S HER OPINION, but is SHE SERIOUS? Is this a satire? If she is serious about this I'll surely gonna laugh at her. I dunno if she's Jap or Korean or somewhat American or Asian-american raised in US. If she is serious about this then she might have overlooked at the some stuff about Korean music industry.
Meanwhile, a SoratoKujira commenter gave her reply:
I’ll just go according to your number. so…
1) Japanese songs have different types [I don't bother to name it out cos you wouldn't know ANYWAY]. Some are catchy while others have to be listened to a few times before you find it catchy.
2) That’s literally lying to fans.
3) Japanese respect themselves. and their image. duhh.
4) That isn’t a reason why kpop is better. Jpop we have Scandal, YUI etc. that’s better.
5) Yeah they are attractive.. because they went for plastic surgery! Why bother seeing their lives when you can watch Barbie and Ken dancing?
6)They dance basically because they have no talent for playing instruments. Who says you can’t dance with instruments? and besides, kpop can’t even dance WHILE singing! pfft.
7) Constant releases? Japanese artists also have constant releases -.-
8) Why would you want to hear the same music, girl version? Just use Sonar or something -.-
9) Korean dramas are SO overrated. They all have the same storyline. At least JDrama doesn’t.
10) weekly shows that will make you want to sleep.
11) Japanese have constant debuting artists too. If not, they wouldn’t have indie bands. And that’s a good thing because that proves that Japanese are talented in Music. Not like Korean artists, who only have a few in their circle. It also proves that they are ORIGINAL. not like Korean artists who just copy and copy -.-
12) Collaborations between artists are found in Jpop too.
13) Why would you like fucking netizens?
14) Korean TV shows suck.
15) Japanese discourage people to drop out of school just to become an artist. If not, there wouldn’t be a need for schools.
16) If you’re trying to get away from American music, try Asian music.
17) Under 4 minutes? What’s the use? Just to hear their altered voices?
18) Special editions are better than only songs crap.
19) I’m assuming you never heard of more jpop songs before before writing this. There are a lot more with English.
20) She’s not fat. How would you like if it I said you’re a pornstar? *rolls eyes*
21) They have no talent in playing instrument or singing. duhh!
22) Japanese are more serious about how they can improve their albums/singles. Not like Koreans. Koreans just, what they say in chinese, 草草了事. Don’t understand? Go google translate. But it’s a phrase so google probably isn’t that good of a use anyway.
23) Japanese have variety shows too. You fail.
24) Japanese have JOHNNY’S ENTERTAINMENT. Which is much much better.
25) Indie bands are everywhere in Japan.
26) Who cares? What really matters is the performance, NOT THE LIGHTS. -_-
27) Japanese have different outfits too what. =_=
28) Remix sucks. No originality.
29) Pew. Old people. Like I said, not like you can have a relationship with them. You want it? Fat hope.
30) They show you their letters? Sheesh! kpop fangirls have NO PRIVACY at all.
31) Yeah they try to rape you.
32) Oricon charts is just to inform people which song is the most listened to now. Duhh.
33) Hello? Artists are human too! They need their own private space and we, jpop fangirls, respect that. We don’t have to know what our idols do to make us like them.
34) Different in what way? Humans are humans afterall.
35) Why would you like cheesy songs? -.-
36) HAHA LIKE REAL. You should’ve seen the amount of money spent on their pvs.
37) Are you sick in the mind?
38) Yeah because they have no intention of entertaining fans.
39) Korean artists get 3 hours of sleep. And use their make-up to fool you that they still look pretty and handsome. Truth is, Japanese artists sleep to maintain their complexion so they don’t have to use make-up to lie to their fans.
40) No pain, no gain. Getting famous overnight? fat hope!
41) Dropping out of school to fulfill their dreams, are not stupid. If you think you are so smart, by all means try to become like a Korean artist. NO ONE would notice you. Trust me.
42) Not in my list.
43) Face it. No one is perfect. Korean artists are humans. No human is perfect.
44) Fangirls have rights too.
45) And also see how retarded you are 8D
46) SEXY? Or are you feeling horny?
47) Getting sent to the army so you would not see your favourite artist? You have no rights to call yourself a fan.
48) TVXQ is no reason that kpop is better than jpop too. I think HSJ beat them HANDS DOWN, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.
49) Leave it be.
Apparently, I have to agree with the latter.
I do not have much knowledge about Jpop, but I have more knowledge about Japanese music mainstream and not just pop. It appears that SoratoKujira only focuses on pop music, so she thinks that Jpop is less catchier. I dunno, when I was in high school, I got to listen to Jpop thru our cable channel WINS (a Fil-Jap friendship channel) and during intermissions, they play Namie Amuro et.al. videos etc and found them catchy. Actually, way catchy than American pop. For western, I go on rock music and some britpop, but not boyband music. I've even listened to Japanese anime soundtracks as well as some Japanese rock songs. So when I came listening to Kpop and Korean music, it seems that there is less diversity in Korean music than Japanese, as well as American and Filipino music mainstream.
On the same token, I think SoraToKujira's article is more of just a satire. Lemme showcase the logic of her statements one by one:
># It’s just that much catchier => catchier TO THOSE WHO USED TO LISTEN TO KPOP AND KPOP AND KPOP, closing their minds from the music of other countries
>Vocoder makes everyone’s voice perfect => Yeah, toooo purrrfect that can make anyone look liar
>Girl group members don’t have to be virgins => Because they were "consumed" by PDs and EXECs prior to debut, y'know what I mean?
Girls’ Generation/2NE1/4minute => I believe, more on Girls' Generation, since almost all international fans are suckers to the so-called "virginity" of
>Everyone is a lot more attractive => Att.rac.tive... reaching to point of NO DIVERSITY and YOU CANNOT DISTINGUISH ONE FROM ANOTHER
>The fun dancing that sticks on you =>
>CONSTANT releases => Constant releases that are same same....formula-driven without something fresh.
>Female versions of already established boy groups =>
>Drama always keeps you entertained =>
>Weekly shows like Music Bank, M! Countdown, Inkigayo =>
>Constantly debuting artists => Seriously, Korea believes in continuous manufacturing of talent for mass consumption. They treat their artists and talent like assets that could depreciate.
>Collaborations between artists (and not just m-flo) => Hmmm...shall we say PIGGYBACKING or worse, LEECHING?!??!?!?1
F****** netizens => Yeah, you will love them to make 'em DIE!!!!
>TV shows ==> Well, for retarded people who loves the same old formula again and again and again and again.
>Everyone is young ==> The Younger you are, the cheaper and easier for you to be exploited!
>If your just getting into Asian music, it’s not a huge step from American music ==> Actually, Japanese artists do not need to have their asses climb to US market ladder because their market is fucking huge enough...SECOND TO THE UNITED.STATES.OF.A.ME.RI.CA! Why expand their fucking markets if their local artists can hit multi-million in ALBUM & DIGITAL SINGLE SALES in their own land, unlike the "market climbers" out there who constantly expands their markets althoughout Asia to the point of shoving their culture down to others' throats
>Songs never drag on, their all under four minutes ==> Seriously, KPOP is like ILLEGAL DRUGS--they do not have enough important substance but addicting!
>None of that CD+DVD, CD+2DVD, CD+Photobook special edition only songs crap => ?????
>You understand it more. Half of the songs are in English ==> KONGLISH
>The only fat person is that dude from Super Junior. No such things as Sugaya Risakos ==> Double-standarding. When a guy gets fat, it's okay. It's no-no for a woman to have added layer of flesh
>Better dancing ==> Synchronized dancing, to be exact, conceptualized by choreographers.
No long waits ’till things release. Everything is announced a week before it’s release date ==> They need to rake more money. STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!
>Variety shows. ==> INKIGAYO. MUSIC CORE. M! COUNTDOWN, MUSIC BANK. That's it! All Singing and dancing, not everything else.
>JYP & Teddy ==> The talent-manufacturers to save their souls! The "brains" who just end up monkeying around! Meanwhile, I spare Teddy 'coz he is unlike JYP. Teddy does not have the principle to whore for attention
>Awesome indie rock music mostly unheard in J-Music => When we say indie, it's F.T. ISLAND or C.N.BLUE. End of Story!
>Fancy stage lights and such for live performances => (?)
>Usually new, different outfits for live performances => They NO LONGER TAKE A BATH; therefore, having different outfits is THEIR BEST OPTION.
>Remixing their songs live after having promoted them for a while =>
>Everyone’s at least hit puberty => Wut?!?!? *rolleyes*
>Desperate fangirls who entertain you with their bloody letters => So much that I ended up becoming a bully to them, and they cried bloody river!
> Lots more interaction between fans and the artists
> No Oricon charts make you feel unpopular => ...because ORICON is not AS PAID as MUSICBANK/M!C/INKI/MUSICCORE CHART
> Everyone’s more open about any surgery they had(UEE and double eye-lid surgery) =>
> Makes you feel even more different => I almost felt ostracized by my colleagues because they could not relate to me since I like Kpop the most.
> It’s cheesy, but at least you have an excuse => The GREATEST EXCUSE is CATCHINESS OF TUNE.
> No low budget PVs => According to the Koreans, the "key" to "great music" is "uber-expensive" MVs. They're like, they love to brag HOW RICH THEIR INDUSTRY IS COMPARED TO JAPAN
> Watching G-Dragon dry hump a girl on stage => FAP.FAP.FAP.FAP.FAP.
> Watching # your K-Pop stars fall asleep on T.V. => another great tool to garner sympathy from fans!
> You never feel like the artists are just lounging off all day doing nothing. They only get 3 hours of sleep!
=> Kpop artists will do everything to LIE to the point of making it real...in different ways possible.
> Get famous overnight with bloody fan letters! => Fans want to be as famous as their idols, even if they doin' it WRONG!
> You usually feel smarter than the artists since everyone drops out of school(no Konno Asamis here!) => Y'know what? Even if I ended up workin' just a mere Call Center Agent, gettin' only 5 hours of sleep each day, working mostly at nights, I still feel intelligent. Soundin' like a bully? Sowww whut? Being a Call Center Agent might be low compared to being a celeb, at least we ain't as underpaid as any Kpop idols out there. Besides, we have more opportunities for career/personal/intellectual growth compared to the Kpop youngins out there who just ended up circling themselves in entertainment industry 'coz they have nowhere to go
> EVERYTHING IS A FREAKIN’ HIT = ...with the accompaniment of SME/JYPE payments to PDs!
> Artist’s profiles are perfect. Perfect age, measurements, etc… Of course you find out a few years later that it’s all a lie. => Koreans are great at lying. End of Story
> Rabid fangirls and netizens keep you entertained with the idiotic things they point out => bashing korean netizens has never been.this.enter.tai.ning.
> It’s always interesting to see how the plagiarizing things work out =>
> Cute isn’t the standard girl group style. It’s all about SEXY => Yeah! SEXY. SEXUAL OBJECTIFICATION. TO BE FAMOUS IS TO ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE OBJECTIFIED, TO BE CONSUMED THE PERVY WAY.
> If your not fond of a certain male artist, don’t worry, he’ll eventually get sent to the army => ?!!??!!?
> TVXQ => This is only few of the legacies Koreans are PROUD OF, even if their Japan sales are quite low compared to Arashi/Kat-tun album sales.
> Watching Hottests waste their lives trying to get Jaebom to come back when he clearly won’t
=> Seriously, I beg to disagree. You have no idea why Jaebum fans are ranting like hell.
> Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Bo Peep Ah~ = > Latest Korean entertainment that time?!?!?!
While some of Sorato's statements are kinda' rubbish, I think of it like she's talking like a stereotypically KPOP fan. Not necessarily talk shit about Jpop. However, misunderstandings can't be avoided because at the onset of the article, it appeared she's betting on Kpop over Jpop.
As for Sugaya Risako, I beg to disagree. I do not know her, but I don't see her as being fat. I'd rather prefer her to have that look than looking emaciated. Again, Sorato talks like a Kpop fan/netizen who places double-standards on fatness between a man and a woman, and what's FAT in the eyes of typical Korean netizen. Shall we say/think... PARODYING A TYPICAL K-POP NETIZEN?
I am a Kpop fan too, and if I felt I misunderstood Sura to Kujira, I would end up agreeing with Awesome JFangirl. However, after weighing the logic between comments and an article, Sura To Kujira's presentation is kinda' subliminal.
I won't care if I might offend a Kpop fan thru my statements and/or interpretations. TRUTH HURTS, right? It's about BIG TIME for those fans to have some slaps of brutality for them to realize their own baloney.